Monday, October 29, 2012

Some Nifty Yard and Garden Ideas

Here's some fun projects for re-purposing items to 
decorate your yards.

I used an old galvanized garbage can that I had that 
the bottom was rusted out of. 
I spray painted it - maroon - and used some gold webbing spray over that.
It is now a plant stand in the corner of my front yard.  An 18 inch plastic bowl planter fit into the bottom of it just right.  So, I can plant things in there, and I have a slice of tree trunk set in the middle of it where I can put a small planter to add seasonal flowers in for color.





Ever thought of using bowling balls for yard art ? They come in so many pretty colors, and can brighten up your yard.

  

I had an old 'cannon ball' wood stove that I had used for that purpose many years ago. For a while I used it as deck art at this house. Now I have it in my front yard as art, and have a coffee pot sitting on it with Ajuga planted in it.



How about using old shoes or boots for planters ?
These shoes are planted with creeping sedum, and it is growing in them so well that you can hardly see the shoes till I trim them back. Makes a nice display.
As you can see, I have another bowling ball between the shoes.




And here's one more.....
This is a planter that my neighbor didn't want anymore.  I set it at a tipped angle and made a succulent garden in it. This makes an interesting and different display.
On the left you can see an old light fixture globe that I still had laying around.


So, look around your house and see what you can re-purpose
 to decorate your yards.
 I try to keep a lot of perennials and grasses and succulents everywhere, too, as a lot of them will still look good through the winter.  
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment