Saturday, November 24, 2012

Convert a Free Standing Pantry to a Vanity

This is an idea that I came up with many years ago. It actually took me until last summer to complete the outside. I didn't like a make-up dresser with everything sitting out that I use regularly. I prefer not to see stuff laying around in the bedroom, so I thought -why not hide it completely? This unit is a particle board construction that came with doors.  I had my hubby cut out the bottom shelf/floor of the unit with enough room around the edge that I can use it for a shelf, and still get a small folding chair in there and out of the way. That also gives me leg room while I am sitting there to do my make-up. I don't take very good photos, but this will give you a general idea.

 In this photo you can see where the cut is in the bottom, and the little folding chair fits in there fine. Since I used bar lighting I cut a hole in the cabinet back to accommodate the electrical outlet for them.  The bar lights have plug-in features, so I can plug my hair dryer and curling iron in on them.

 



Here you can see where my hubby wired in a automatic switch for the lights. When the door is closed, the lights go off.
 


This is a tougher photo to see, as the lights are pretty bright. I used 3 bathroom bar lights, and these are 25 watt bulbs! No problem with enough light here!
I put in a mirror - the largest size I could fit in there.
On each side wall I added small plastic trays for storage - just screwed them in where the design allowed, so I didn't have to drill them.  
   



The next 2 photos shows the inside of the doors. The left door has wire baskets screwed in to use for storage. Both doors have 
2 (12-inch mirror tiles installed.





This last summer I decided that I needed a bit more storage, so I found a small unit that fit on top of the pantry unit.  I painted everything white, then added some quarter-round trim, and now I have a built-in "vanity" and more storage. I used the handles that came with the units as the other furniture in the bedroom is oak.
 


I think this looks much nicer and cleaner than a make-up table in my bedroom.
Sharon


 

No comments:

Post a Comment