Saturday, November 10, 2012

Homemade Ornaments

I started making Christmas ornaments for my grandchildren whethey were born. I thought this would be a fun way to give them a memory for every year, and a nice starter set of ornaments when they became adults. At one time I was making 9 of these a year.  They loved them so much that they didn't want me to stop making them on their 18th birthdays, as I had originally intended.  This year I am down to 4. I have never made 2 alike, so there have been a lot of ideas that I've had to come up with over the years. 

This set was made in 2005, so I have no step-by-step instructions or pictures, sorry. I can tell you what each one was made from and it will give you an idea of how to make some ornaments yourself.
 
The santa was made with a round light bulb for the body coated with 'snow paint'. The head is a styrofoam ball coated wtih the same 'snow paint'. I glued the 2 together- likely with hot glue. I used felt for the clothes, buttons for the nose & eyes, and curly doll hair.

The middle one is a regular shaped light bulb. I put white glue on it and rolled it in seed beads several times until it was covered enough, then used the 'snow paint', and glued on a gold star.

The angel was made with a light bulb and painted with the same 'snow paint'. I used red satin for the dress and pleated satin trim for the bodice. I found a doll head that would work, and some doll arms. The wings are a butterfly in sparkly Christmas colors that I glued on.  
 
Hot glue on a ribbon for the hanger, and you are set. 

I always put the grandchild's name and the year, and 'made by' info on the back of the ornament. I have also made special ornaments for others, and they are always a hit.
 
The 2 ornaments with the green around them are made with soap scoops. I painted the inside with the 'snow paint', then glued miniature ornaments in them.

 The snowman is made with styrofoam balls glued together with buttons for eyes and tummy, ribbon for the scarf, beads for the mouth, and the tip of a wooden skewer painted orange for the carrot nose. A straw hat completes it.


The plastic ball ornament I filled with small Christmas things, painted the back of it with 'snow paint', and glued decorative gold bead trim around the seam.

Give this project a try. You are limited only by your own imagination. 
Sharon

 

 useful supplies

No comments:

Post a Comment