Best Barbecued Beans EVER
Serves: 12 to 16
- 1 pound smoked brisket or bacon cut into 1/4-inch slivers
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans
- 3 cans (each 15 ounces) baked beans or pork and beans (I use Bush's Baked Beans - the large cans-any flavor)
- I add 2 cups cooked dried black beans (optional)
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped-more if desired
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or as many tsp of minced in the jar garlic as you wish)
- 2 cups sweet red barbecue sauce (your favorite purchased brand)
- 1-1/2 cups firmly packed light or dark brown sugar, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional )
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
- Chipotle Tabasco Sauce - to taste.
- 2 cups molasses..or more-to taste.
- 2 palm-fulls of 'Mesquite" season
- 3-6 jalapeno peppers if you like more heat
Counter Top Roaster Oven or Large Crock Pot
1. If using bacon instead of brisket, place it in a large skillet over medium heat and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour off all the bacon fat, or add some of it into the beans if desired- I do.
2. Empty the cans of black and kidney beans into a colander and drain. Rinse the beans under cold running water and drain again. Place all the beans (including the baked beans or pork and beans and cooked dried beans) in the oven pan and add the onion and garlic to the mix. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or mustard as necessary, and salt and black pepper to taste; the beans should be very flavorful.
3. Set the oven to 325*, put the lid on, and let the magic begin.
4. Be sure to check and stir the beans periodically. You don't want them to stick to the bottom of your pan. Tasting as it cooks helps, as you can add whatever you think it needs. Plus, that makes a yummy "chef's" snack.
[[You can also do this in a large crock pot. Start on the high setting, and once it is done to your satifaction, you can set it to low and leave the lid off to let it thicken up if needed.]]
After they have cooked for an hour, give them a good stir and test your consistancy. We like ours a thick consistancy, and I generally leave the top off of the pan for a while to let them thicken up some.
When I make this, I have to use my counter top oven because I make a crowd size batch and I'm always adding more things into it. Mine generally ends up to be more like a double batch!
I have taken this dish to large gatherings, and all I bring home is an empty pan. I hope you enjoy it as much a we all do.
- Rival RO230-B 22-Quart Roaster Oven, Black
- Shenzhen Knives Chef Series. Ceramic Knife Set - 3-piece (6" Chef's, 5" Slicing & 3" Paring)
- Zyliss 20362 Lock-n-Lift Manual Can Opener, White

No comments:
Post a Comment