Monday, November 26, 2012

Do You Love Hummingbirds?

I know it may be a strange time of year to talk about hummingbird feeders. I must tell you that even though we live in the Northwest, I wintered one of the little sweethearts through a freeze on our front porch. It would sit up in our cedar tree and wait for me to come out and thaw out the feeder, then it would fly right up by it as I was putting it back on the hook. It was a labor of love, as I had to do this at least once an hour all day. I'd bring the feeder in at night so it would stay liquid, and if I didn't get it out early enough in the morning, he'd be a bit upset. So, if you can keep a feeder going for some of these darling birds in cold weather, it's a fun bit of labor. Don't use the prepared stuff in the feeders. That stuff can harm or kill them. Use 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Make sure the sugar is well disolved. Make sure, also, that your feeder is bird-friendly. They can fall through the 'rungs' around perches, get hung up and die. Mine have perches only, or no perches at all. They use them both.
Sharon

This was our winter here in Portland, Oregon
in 2008 
 
 Got one good picture of him in the cedar tree

  Here he is at the feeder.




No comments:

Post a Comment