Saturday, February 16, 2013

Roasted Chicken in the Crock Pot ~ Recipe

Today I am doing my version of roasted chicken - in the crock pot.  I just got it into the crock pot and going for the day. 

The bird I am using is 5.77 lbs.  After her bath, I patted her down with paper towels to dry her off. (all of the "yucky" things were removed from the cavity as I don't use those.)

 
I pulled the skin loose as far as I could all the way around the breast, wings, and thighs. I am aggressive, so I get a lot of space under the skin.
 



Then I used McCormick Grill Mates Chicken Rub liberally under the skin, in the cavity, and on the skin. I usually make my own spice mixes, but we had this one on hand and it is great, so when I'm in a hurry I use it. Did I mention that we like lots of spice? I added a bit more after I took this photo.



Next, I got a huge onion and sliced it up in nice wide slices to use as a base for the bird.





Time to put the bird in the pot for the day. As big as this one is, it may take 5-6 hours in my crock pot on high. Times will vary from one crock pot to another, so you might want to use a meat thermometer to check the temperatureI usually let mine go until it falls apart when I try to move a wing or leg. Per the food industry charts, whole chicken should be 165*-175* in the thigh.




I added some baby carrots and 5 cloves of pickled garlic, and put the lid on it for the day.  You do not need to add any liquid to this pot, as the chicken will make it's own as it cooks. 

I will be serving this over cooked rice. Some crusty artisan bread along side, and we will have a really wonderful dinner tonight!

I wish we had a button for "smell-a-blog"!  I would so share the aroma coming from my crock pot with all of you

Here is the finished meal. Arborio rice steamed with vegetable broth, Kalamata olive artisan bread, chicken.  You can see some carrots, onion, and a piece of garlic and part of the chicken skin. Believe me, this was as yummy as it looks!

 
Some great crock pot recipes: 
This steamer is going to be my next purchase. This is a great brand, and I love that fact that it does so much so fast and easy!






  

No comments:

Post a Comment