I have sewn since I was a very young girl. My mother made all my clothes, and taught me how to sew. I started out making pot holders. We used leftover fabric scraps to make these. Most of our sewing was done on a machine, but we also did hand stitching. So, I can blind hem a dress by hand or on the machine. I am not school trained in sewing, but I am sure life-trained in it. If you want to learn to sew, that's great. It really is a lot of fun, and rewarding.
There are many good books out there to help you. Patterns are generally easy to follow once you learn how to read them. As far as machines go, there are many out there to choose from. This will depend on how fancy you wish to go with stitches and various pressure feet for different projects. Sewing machines are like cars. You can go from a no frills machine
I have 2 machines right now. One is an older small starter unit by Brother that is a sweet little worker. I also have a New Home that is a very old unit that still does pretty well, but I have to clean it and adjust it more than I prefer. I really have my eye on those computerized ones!
My son was not happy when I made him learn how to sew on a button, use the iron, do his own laundry, clean the house, and learn basic cooking. But, I knew this was some information that would be useful to him as an adult. I didn't teach him how to use a sewing machine, but I am sure he could do the basics in a pinch.
I love to sew, and that is good, as I am so tall that I have a very tough time finding ready-made clothes that fit. So, I thought that I would start by sharing some basic techniques for altering pants that are too long (don't need this one myself), basic repairs to clothing, things that can help you keep your clothes looking nice and fitting better.
The best place to start is gathering some basic supplies you'll need for your wonderful spacious sewing basket.
This site has a pretty comprehensive list that will get you started on the fun aisle - "Notions".
Recommended reading for the sewing beginner:
- Sew Everything Workshop: The Complete Step-by-Step Beginner's Guide with 25 Fabulous Original Designs, Including 10 Patterns
- One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
-
Singer Simple Mending & Repair: Essential Machine-Side Tips and Techniques
Here are some pretty basic sewing machines that you might like to start out with.
- SINGER 7258 Stylist 100-Stitch Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine with Instructional DVD and More
- Brother CS6000i Advance Sew Affordable 60-Stitch Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine with Hard Case
Thread can get pretty spendy, so buying in bulk like this can save you some money, too. There are different types of thread. The heavy duty or dual duty is the strongest, the polyester is not as strong, but will do for a variety of projects.
- Dual Duty XP 9000 General Purpose Thread Set, Assorted
- HM 24 Assorted Spools Polyester Sewing Thread Full Size, 200 Yds Per Unit


No comments:
Post a Comment