Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Make Your Own Flour with a Grain Mill | Review

Whole oat groats have a much longer shelf life than rolled oats so it makes sense to store it whole and mill it as you need it. All you need is a good grain mill and you can turn your whole wheat into rolled oats or even flour.

I personally like the hand crank mills for a couple reasons. They are more affordable and you are not dependent on electricity. So you can make your oatmeal off the grid. I love to take it camping for good old fashioned oatmeal in the morning. Yes, I could roll my oats before we go but there is just something about rolling them right before cooking that I enjoy.

This Victorio Hand Operated Grain Mill is one of the best mills you can get for the price. It will produce flour and even a fairly fine flour if you take the time. The key is to run it through on a coarse setting, then run it through a second time with a finer setting.



The advantages to an electric mill is that you can usually get a finer flour and it's clearly less work to operate

This Electric WonderMill Grain Mill is one of the best I have found for making flour. There is one that is close in price and produces the same quality flours but is much louder (not that this one is super quiet).  This model produces a nice fine flour in a very short amount of time.

These mills aren't just for oats.  They work with all grains and make a great rice flour as well. 

If you are wanting to make a coarser flour or oatmeal the hand crank model works best in this price range. The electric model just doesn't grind coarse enough for my liking.  There are more expensive electric models that will have more options for coarse settings.


No comments:

Post a Comment