There are tall plants that can shade other shorter ones, and some plants that bugs don't like that can go with others that bugs go after. It all sounds very symbiotic, and in a way it is, I suppose. So, the point is to group your plants in a way that helps them grow well and produce better.
We have learned that one should not plant tomatoes in the same place every year. Rotating their growing area will help them produce better. You should also remove a lot of the leaves so that the fruit is getting the nutrients. You aren't going to eat the leaves, so why not have the fruit getting the most benefit?
There are many great reference books out there for us today. Remember, read the information on seed packets, too. They usually put the basics there so that you know what/when/where to plant that vegetable. I have a neighbor that I call our 'farming girl', as she grows everything from seed. It is really amazing and quite impressive. I grew up planting seeds, and then got away from it for things like tomatoes and peppers and cucumbers. Silly, when it is so much cheaper to plant seeds. 'Farming girl' gets beautiful crops in their back yard.
Here is the link to a blog I did earlier on seed packet organization.
http://refreshinghome.blogspot.com/2012/11/seed-packet-organizer.html
This site has a great deal of super information for us. Time to get thinking about the upcoming growing season and get our garden beds organized.
Recommended reading:
- Backyard Harvest: A year-round guide to growing fruit and vegetables
- Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens
- Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening
- Burpee : The Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener : A Guide to Growing Your Garden Organically
<
Supplies:

No comments:
Post a Comment