Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Emergency Car Kits for Every Vehicle

Along with a Basic Road Assistance Kit that holds your jumper cables, a few tools and flares, there are other things you should consider having in your car year round. You should think about being stranded for at least 24 hours and what you'll need. I try to keep my kits stocked with a 3 day supply. I have a short commute to work but I also travel much longer distances on the weekends and vacation. I've listed a few ideas here but this is not a full list only some things to get you going in the right direction.


Water:
Something many of us don't think about is a small food and water supply for the car. The further away from home you travel for work, the more important this becomes. Through my own research I have found that these Datrex Water Packet - 3 Day Supply is a good quality water pouch. They are sturdy and fairly portable as well. You can read my review here You can also get these in bulk for your home or if you have multiple cars. I also include Water Treatment Tablets in my car kit. It may not be as important for a short term supply but they take up little space so why not?

Food:
Something else we don't think about in our daily commute is a small supply of food. Datrex has an Emergency Food Bar that is compact and high calorie. Throw a couple of these in your kits.

Blankets
If your basic car kit does not include a blanket or not enough for everyone make sure you add them. this is especially important during the winter months but they work well for covering accident victims who are in shock year round.. You have a couple options here. The most compact way to go is the Mylar Thermal Blankets, they come in a pack of 10 and are inexpensive. The Emergency Sleeping Bag is a little more expensive. They are still thin but much more durable and easier to wrap your entire body.




Seat-Belt Cutter / Emergency Hammer
Every vehicle should have one of these. Find one that is multipurpose. I use the LifeHammer, Original Emergency Hammer it combines the seat-belt cutter and window breaker. It's mountable, compact and has a florescent button for easy retrieval in the dark







Small Shovel:
having a small shovel in your car can help you dig out if you become stuck. I like the Coleman Folding Shovel and Pick. It's a very durable little unit. The main complaint about this shovel/pick combo is that it's to small but that's exactly why I like it.

Tow Rope:
There are various types of tow ropes and they are designed specifically for certain type of towing use. It really depends the type of vehicle you have. Don't just go out and buy any tow rope, consult with your mechanic or an auto parts store for one that will work for you. If you choose the wrong tow strap/rope you could actually damage your vehicle.






Fire Extinguisher:
Pick an extinguisher that is compact and mountable like this Auto Fire Extinguisher. These tend to roll around in the car and if you mount it, you'll always know where it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment