Sunday, December 2, 2012

Christmas Ornament for Grandson

Our youngest grandson loves Pokemon.  So, I decided to make him a Pokemon themed ornament this year. I got a plastic ornament in a round pancake shape. A bit hard to see in this photo, but you know the one I mean. You can also do this project on ball ornaments. I did one years back that I glued the graphics on the inside. I love working with the acrylic ornaments that pull apart in the middle. So many possibilities.


I printed off several pages of Pokemon graphics, and  cut them up for a Mod Podge job on this ornament.  You can, of course, use any theme you wish. Placement of each piece is up to you. I put on a layer of Mod Podge with a stiff bristle artist brush, lay the graphic on that area, then start going over the top of the paper with more glue. You can use the handle of the paint brush to help you smooth out some places, and just pounce the brush on others to get them to lay as flat as possible.  There really is no wrong way to do this.  Do as much as you can, then hang the ornament up for a while to let it dry. This takes very little time, really. As soon as you can touch it without sticking to it, you can move on with your gluing.  


Don't be alarmed because your glue looks gloppy or like buttermilk. It will all dry nice and clear and you won't see any wrinkles- unless you look REALLY close. This is not a project that is supposed to be perfect, just beautiful and fun.
When the pieces have all dried on the ornament really good, put another coat of glue over the whole thing. 

This is the gluing done. The front has a Pokemon in a santa hat.


This is the back with a larger group picture of Pokemon figures. Any way you do it, it is colorful and fun.


Here we have the finished ornament. This grandson loves red, so I finished it off with the red ribbon.

Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment