Thursday, December 20, 2012

Home Made French Fries Haystack ~ recipe

I absolutely love homemade french fries. You can make them any size from planks to shoestring. Put any seasoning on them that you like, and eat them with ketchup or other sauce. Or, make them into my version of a haystack - something my sister-in-law made years ago using fritos for the haystack. 

Take your favorite potatoes, clean them good - I do not peel mine, as that is the best part - and slice them into the size you want.  The ones that I am making today I cut into about  1/2 inch diameter - maybe a bit more - strips. I am using the huge baking potatoes. If you don't want to cut your own, you can always use a professional french fry cutter. That would be faster.

Set your oven to 400*. Put some parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread out the fries. Then pop them into the oven to bake until they are almost fork tender. My oven did this in 17 minutes.

I use a very large frying pan  with enough oil to just about cover a french fry. Heat it until the end of a fry stuck into it sizzles. Very carefully add the fries a few at a time into the oil, and let them 'deep fry' to the doneness you prefer. Turn them once in a while to make sure they are done on all sides. Take them out, put them on a paper towel covered platter, and put the salt or whatever spices on that you want - while the oil is still hot. If you prefer, you can also use a regular professional style deep fryer . Mine is not this style, and I had some long fries, so I used my pan.
 

Now this is what we call french fries in my kitchen. A wonderful toasty color, coarse salt and Grill Mates 'sweet & smokey' spice on them.


                                                            
       



I added some canned  chili, chopped onions, some canned diced chilis,and grated jack/cheddar
cheese.
  



   

And here you have a micro-waved (2 minutes) haystack meal made with fresh home made french fries. Just add some salsa, if you like, and maybe some sour cream to top it off.

My hubby and I both loved it. Give it a try for yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment