Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Coconut Water Transfusions

Common Sense Warning: Don't try this at home.

My Grandfather has told me on more than one occasion that during WWII and Vietnam coconut water was used as a substitute for blood plasma. I found this hard to believe but he's insistent about it. He claims that during the war soldiers on both sides would gather coconuts for medical use.

I did a little research on this and he is actually right! I found reports from Japanese and British veterans from WWII that state coconut transfusions were actually done. At the time, maybe the soldiers thought they were substituting plasma but they were actually re-hydrating the wounded more than anything and doing a good job of it.

Photo Credit: Wikipedia.com

Coconut water from young coconuts (not the milk) is NOT a good replacement for blood plasma but is effective as an intravenous saline solution (in an emergency). It's also naturally sterile. Now, unless you live on a tropical island this information isn't very helpful but it is an interesting fact.

Now you won't find me trying this method anytime soon but I will keep up my coconut consumption. The health benefits are endless. It is everything from a skin conditioner to brain food.
  Scarlett
Medical References:
  • “Coconut water as intravenous infusion” British Medical Journal (28 August, 1965): 525.
  •  Campbell-Falck, Darilyn et al. “The Intravenous Use of Coconut Water” American Journal of Emergency Medicine 18.1 (2000): 108-111.
Some products I recommend:

No comments:

Post a Comment